The Editor pane in UDEC provides the ability to edit text-based project resources (data files, FISH files). Though users may choose to work with other text editors for creation/modification of project items with no loss of capability, the UDEC editor provides advantages that are not available in outside editors, including:
- automatic syntax color-coding;
- debugging and syntax error detection (step-through, check function and variable values) with line number referencing
- collapsible FISH blocks to simplify reading large, complex data files;
- columnar selection;
- undo/redo commands;
- find/replace dialog;
- automatically comment (or uncomment) all selected lines (i.e., adds a semicolon to the start of the line, causing it to be ignored upon data file execution);
- execute only those lines that are currently selected;
- access to the “Execute/Stop” command, which provides an integrated environment for edit —> cycle sequences without having to switch between two programs; and
- integration with the program documentation via key commands
[F1]or [Ctrl+spacebar] to go directly to documentation of the command or FISH function on the current line.
Many aspects of the text editor may be customized to suit personal preferences (e.g., font style, font size, syntax colors, etc.) under the Options menu.